Musings of Glitter: Signature Bouncy Curls with HerStyler

Monday, June 26, 2017

Signature Bouncy Curls with HerStyler


Talking about how to get my signature curls today! I get a ridiculous amount of questions about these curls - both in person and on the blog. I have super long hair, so I have lots of tips and tricks for you to get beautiful curls that will last for days! This post was brought to you in collaboration with HerStyler via Shopping Links! Check out the full tutorial below!


So first thing - grab your materials. I use a straightener, curling iron, hairspray, teasing comb and metal clips. (ps - how fun is this bright blue straightener?)


I start out by brushing my hair to get out all of the tangles, and then go in with a straightener just over my roots. This helps to get rid of any waves and tames some of my fly-aways. When straightening, be sure to only go over your roots - I go about two inches down. Just don't go past where you want the curl to begin or your curl won't hold as well.


Once all of my roots are straight, I go through and do any teasing I want. I like to tease my hair BEFORE I curl (which is backwards from a lot of hairstylists) because I like to keep my curls pretty intact. If you like a messier look, you can tease after - but I find it easier to get the curls exactly how I want them with my fingers once I'm done (and avoid breaking them up too much with a comb).

So to tease, I section off thin layers of hair, lifting them up into the air and giving it a blast of hairspray.


Then before the hairspray dries I quickly grab my teasing comb and start about an inch away from the scalp and bring the comb down towards my head - I do this several times. Just be sure to only bring your comb down, then start over - don't go back and forth or you'll break your hair. Then once it's teased, I flip it over to the other side of my head, grab a small section underneath and repeat. I do this all the way down to my ears. Then just simply flip your hair back to the correct side, take the comb and smooth out the top layer. Then do the other side!


Once you have the volume you want, you can begin curling! Now here's where I'm not too precise. I grab various sized sections of hair (typically anywhere from 1/2 in - 1 in) and wrap the hair away from my face. I usually leave a few inches uncurled at the top of my head and about an inch on the end of my hair. This just helps it to feel a bit more natural and less like Shirley Temple.


Once I curl the hair, I quickly set it up with two metal pins (going opposite directions) in the shape of the curl. This helps your curls to last forever!


Curl one side of your head (all going away from your face) and set in clips.


Then do the same to the other side - again, always curling away from your face. Once all your curls are in pins, let them cool for 5-20 minutes. The longer you let them set in the clips, the longer they'll last - but when I'm rushed, 5 minutes usually does the trick! Then just take the pins out, break up the curls a bit with your fingers and your done! You can finish with a light hairspray if you choose.


So that's it! So easy. I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial! If you recreate these curls, tag me so I can see! The key to any hairstyle is the right tools, and I absolutely LOVE mine from HerStyler - and bonus is that they're SUPER affordable, but you still get an awesome result. No need to spend a fortune for good quality. So be sure to check them out for all your hair tool needs! And a lot of their tools are super cute - they come in fun colors and prints, which is always a plus!

xoxo

1 comment: