Musings of Glitter: Speech Language Pathology

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Speech Language Pathology


Tomorrow I begin a brand new chapter in my life. I'm officially starting Graduate School to get my master's degree in Speech Language Pathology! To be honest, I've always been torn about what I want in the future from my professional life. I interned for Keds last summer and absolutely LOVED it, but I've always been a communication disorders major (basically pre-speech pathology or audiology) and I didn't know what a career in anything else would look like. I spent all last year debating what to do with my life - head to a career in the marketing/social media/fashion world? Or continue on my path to speech therapy? Although I'm still torn (and probably always will be) I finally decided to continue school and get my masters while staying involved in the fashion world through my blog/instagram. You all know that I'm passionate about fashion, but I wanted to share with you why I'm also passionate about speech pathology! I truly believe that communication is what makes life worthwhile. It allows you to share your life with someone else; it allows you to express your emotions, thoughts, hopes and dreams. Honestly, I can't imagine a world in which I didn't have my ability to communicate, can you? It would impact everything in your day to day life - ordering coffee in the morning, communicating with your coworkers, checking out at the grocery store, even talking on the phone with your family. I've always wanted to help others, and this profession is the perfect way for me to do that! I can't imagine a better way to help someone than by giving the gift of communication. It's such a vital aspect of daily life and if I can make a difference in even just one person's life, all of the time and effort put into the pursuit of this profession will be worth it. Because don't get me wrong, getting my masters is going to be HARD. Heck, getting my bachelors was hard! I know that there will be days I want to give up and just call it quits, but I hope that on those days I can come back to this post and remind myself why I chose this path in the first place. I don't know where I'll be in 5 years, but I hope that wherever I end up (whether I continue in speech pathology or branch off into another field) I can make a positive impact in someone's life. Because isn't that what life is all about?

Necklace (16 in)  



No comments:

Post a Comment