Musings of Glitter: Outline the Sky / Boston

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Outline the Sky / Boston




If you've been following me on Instagram for the past few years, you'll know that Boston has a special place in my heart. A few summers ago, I worked at Keds as their social media intern. Keds is one of Wolverine Worldwide's brands (some of their other brands include Sperry, Chaco, Hush Puppies and more). Keds is where my entire blogging journey began. I was a Keds ambassador during college, and was then given the opportunity to head to Boston for the summer and become one of their interns! Needless to say, it was an INCREDIBLE experience and not only did I fall in love with social media/marketing - but Keds and Boston as well. 



I was extremely nervous when I first got there. It was all very outside of my comfort zone. I was in a brand new city, 25 hours away from family, where I knew absolutely no one. I couldn't find an apartment to rent that was fully furnished, so I ended up living in a (slightly sketchy) extended stay hotel. I didn't have much (really any) social media or marketing experience and was anxious that I would have no idea what to do. What if I was a horrible at my job? What if I didn't meet new friends? What if I hated living in the city? But all of those fears were quickly put to rest. I soon learned that I am totally a city girl. I LOVED living in Boston. And the Keds family quickly welcomed me in and I felt right at home! I became good friends with several of the other interns and had the time of my life!









Obviously headquarters was beautiful, and (as is expected with Keds) there was inspiration around every corner. For the first time in my life, I genuinely enjoyed going to work everyday - I actually looked forward to it! Part of my job responsibilities included helping with social media sites (Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest etc.), participating in brainstorm sessions, and also blogging my Keds journey on their Tumblr. My love for social media/marketing began to grow and I was able to gain incredibly valuable experience. Everyone who works at Keds is insanely talented and I was lucky to be a part of such an awesome team! 





I spent each weekend exploring Boston - the Public Gardens, Public Library, Mike's Pastry (the best cannoli I've ever eaten) and Fenway Park, because let's be honest, you have to go to a Red Sox game to be a true Bostonian. 


This internship was truly one of the best experiences of my life, and I have nothing but positive things to say about Keds and Wolverine.  If you're a college student looking for an incredible internship experience, I highly suggest you check out the Wolverine Worldwide Internship Program! I made lasting bonds with incredible people and loved every minute of it. 


This Boston Skyline sweatshirt from Outline The Sky is a constant reminder for me to step outside of my comfort zone. Taking a new job in a new city was something I never thought I'd do. But I can't tell you how glad I am that I did! I discovered a new passion and met some wonderful people along the way. I was able to explore a brand new city (filled with incredible history) and work at a job that I absolutely loved. Even though I'm currently in graduate school for speech pathology - I still find myself daydreaming about a job in the marketing world, and hopefully one day I'll be able to pursue that dream. But for now the memories of my time spent with Keds in Boston are enough.

AND I have a special discount code for you! Use code "EMILYB20" at checkout for 20% off at outlinethesky.com! So you too can get great gear to rep the city that holds your heart.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment